Wednesday, January 14, 2009

63 OUT OF 99, NOT BAD AFTER ALL

I don't usually do memes, but when I saw this one in Guido's blog, Atlantic Lines, I just couldn't resist. Of course, being the long-winded literary person that I am, I have added explanations to each of the items that I have experienced (in blue). I guess my life isn't as empty as I thought it was............

1. Started your own blog (actually, numerous blogs)

2. Slept under the stars (camping out, also leading a Girl Scout Troop)

3. Played in a band (was the lead female vocalist and bass guitarist for a band when in my late teens)

4. Visited Hawaii

5. Watched a meteor shower (leonid ??sp?? with my daughter on a couple of occasions)

6. Given more than you can afford to charity (I felt they needed it more than I did)

7. Been to Disneyland/world (Disneyworld in Florida, 3 times, also Epcot Center)

8. Climbed a mountain (Stone Mountain in Georgia)

9. Held a praying mantis (I love the way they turn their little heads and stare at you)

10. Sang a solo (I cannot count how many solos I have sung in my lifetime…hundreds I guess)

11. Bungee jumped

12. Visited Paris

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (I was on a trolling boat that didn’t get in quick enough so we watched a little of the storm on the way to dock)

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (pen and ink, charcoal sketching, claywork, jewelry making, etc.)

15. Adopted a child

16. Had food poisoning (oh boy, numerous times….can you say “yo quero Taco Bell”?)

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty

18. Grown your own vegetables (helped my granny as a child and then grew tomatoes as an adult)

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France

20. Slept on an overnight train (once when young, traveling with my parents)

21. Had a pillow fight (um, numerous, but once with feather pillows…….not a good idea)

22. Hitch hiked

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (I would NEVER do that…..ok ok ok, numerous times, but usually I would get sick a couple of days later…karma?)

24. Built a snow fort

25. Held a lamb (as a child visiting a dairy farm, and as a Girl Scout Leader)

26. Gone skinny dipping

27. Run a Marathon

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice

29. Seen a total eclipse (numerous times)

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (I love a sunset, but have seen both; most beautiful was on the west coast of Florida)

31. Hit a home run (once and only once, when a kid in school….usually I closed my eyes when the ball came toward me)

32. Been on a cruise

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (the year before my mother died, I was 18. Our family took a trip from Georgia to Toronto, Canada and back)

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (not the countries of Ireland or Scotland, but the states where most of my ancestors were born)

35. Seen an Amish community (on one of our weekend trips that my Dad would take us on)

36. Taught yourself a new language (American Sign Language….then after I learned a good part of it, my job sent me to a college course to learn it properly so that I could interpret for our deaf customers)

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

39. Gone rock climbing

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David

41. Sung karaoke (only once, and that was enough. I had given up singing in public a few years before this and the stage fright was overwhelming)

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant (a co-worker and I bought a meal for a homeless man in the Doctor’s cafeteria at Grady Hospital in Atlanta. The man was eating leftover food off of people’s plates on the return cart, so we bought the meal, sat it on a cart next to where he was sitting and watched him turn around and pick it up and eat it. He never knew we had done it)

44. Visited Africa

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (um, among other things I have done on the beach by moonlight, lol)

46. Been transported in an ambulance (2-1/2 years ago, and I hope it never happens again)

47. Had your portrait painted (once, by a street artist in New Orleans, LA)

48. Gone deep sea fishing (my father had wanted a boy and got me, so I grew up fishing. He took me deep sea fishing and trolling when we went to Florida)

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling

52. Kissed in the rain (oh yeah!)

53. Played in the mud (only as a kid….I hate getting Georgia red clay/mud on me now)

54. Gone to a drive-in theater (numerous times, with family and with a date. And yes, I watched the movie…..well, part of it, lol)

55. Been in a movie (been in a couple of movies as an extra, as well as a couple of commercials)

56. Visited the Great Wall of China

57. Started a business (actually, 3 businesses. One was a consignment shop 18-19 years ago, a jewelry/makeup business, and currently an online web-business)

58. Taken a martial arts class

59. Visited Russia

60. Served at a soup kitchen

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (my daughter was a Girl Scout for several years and I was a leader for a year, so yes, we both sold a lot of cookies. My daughter’s troop was the top seller for southern Georgia for 2 years in a row)

62. Gone whale watching (totally by accident. While on a trip to Florida, we were watching the shoreline and saw whale tails flapping in and out of the water, then saw a baby whale jump up out of the water, sorta like a dolphin or porpoise)

63. Gotten flowers for no reason (Michael loves to give flowers for no particular reason)

64. Donated blood, platelets, or plasma (not anymore, but I used to. I had mono in my 30’s and now I cannot give blood)

65. Gone sky diving

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp

67. Bounced a check (2 that I knew were bad, and numerous that were due to Banking error or theft of my debit card)

68. Flown in a helicopter

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (I still have it. It is a cow pull-toy that raises its head and moos as you pull it and push the little air pump. I gave it to my daughter when she was little and recently she gave it back to me to hold for her till she has children)

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial (on a trip with my parents when I was a child)

71. Eaten Caviar (several different kinds….not really fond of it)

72. Pieced a quilt (when I was a little girl, I used to go to quilting parties with my mother and granny and would help with the quilting)

73. Stood in Times Square (when my parents took a trip to New York to see some relatives who lived on Long Island, we went to Times Square. I don’t remember it, though)

74. Toured the Everglades (never by air-boat, but skirted the edges with a boat, and drove through most of the Everglades in a car)

75. Been fired from a job (twice. First time I worked for a 2-brother owned business where they didn’t have any problems with my performance for 7 years. Then when they wanted to stop paying benefits and hire only temps, they offered me 2 options…..resign and they would give me a glowing letter of reference, or they would fire me. I opted for the resignation, but the Labor Board said I had a case against them, so it was changed to fired and I collected unemployment. The second time I was a manager for a motel and due to being overweight and not liking to wear dresses, the Hindu Indian owner had me train a blonde bimbo with big boobs and thin figure who wore dresses and then I went in one day and she had taken my job. I went to the Labor Board again and they determined I was fired, and wrongfully, so they fined him, I got a settlement, as well as drew unemployment…….karma…….)

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London

77. Broken a bone (2, maybe 3. My wrist when I was 5, my foot when I was in my 20’s, and possibly my lower left rib when I fell while moving some boxes several years ago. Of course, that doesn’t include the hundreds of broken toes, lol)

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (first time was when I was 14, and they didn’t tell me to watch the tailpipe…I still have the scar, lol)

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person

80. Published a book (a small book of poetry that I wrote)

81. Visited the Vatican

82. Bought a brand new car (2 in my lifetime. First was a 1977 green Mustang hatchback. Second was a 1981 silver Toyota Corolla)

83. Walked in Jerusalem

84. Had your picture in the newspaper (as a child, my mother would have my picture put in the paper when I had a big birthday party…gee mom….and then when I was in grammar school, I wrote a rather political/moral article that was published in the Atlanta Journal/Constitution along with my picture)

85. Read the entire Bible (several times. Then I realized that you have to STUDY the Bible, not just read it)

86. Visited the White House (when I was a child, with my parents)

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (like I said, my dad wanted a boy, but got me. So I was raised fishing. I love to camp out by a lake or stream, catch the fish, scale, behead, gut and clean the fish, then cook it in butter over a campfire…mmmmmm)

88. Had chickenpox (not as a child, but as a grown woman in my 30’s which I caught from my daughter…….thanks, honey)

89. Saved someone’s life

80. Sat on a jury

91. Met someone famous (Frankie Avalon, Burt Reynolds, John Lythgow, Peter Coyote, Mick Jagger and several others I cannot remember at this time)

92. Joined a book club (in school, I was a book nerd)

93. Lost a loved one (my mother, when I was 18; my father about 10 years ago; several dear friends over the years, an ex-boyfriend, as well as my best friend in high school to complications of a bone marrow transplant)

94. Had a baby (who has become a beautiful and smart young woman)

95. Seen the Alamo in person

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake

97. Been involved in a lawsuit (in the 80’s I was part of a class-action lawsuit against the Polybutelene plumbing manufacturer. I was awarded $1000 plus had my home completely replumbed with proper pipes, for free)

98. Owned a cell phone (2 total. The first was 2-1/2 years ago when I moved from the wicked witch’s house. The second was 9 months ago when I realized I was paying too much on the first one)

99. Been stung by a bee (numerous times….thank goodness I am not allergic)


1 comment:

ADB said...

Most impressive, Regina